December 21st, 2016 at NOON
211 South Fifth Street
Remove the wicked advisors from around the ruler, in order that he might administrate with justice and righteousness – Proverbs 25:5
Between now and 12/21, we will be working towards encouraging our GOP elected officials to stand up for us, their constituents, in particular by speaking out publicly against white nationalism sympathizer Steve Bannon being given an advisory position with influence over President-elect Trump.
No matter what happens, we’ll be visiting them in person on the 21st, either to make the case face-to-face or (in the best case scenario) to thank them for their support.
We will meet at NOON on 12/21 outside the first of our stops. We will proceed to the rest in order.
Matthew Borges, Chairman
Ohio Republican Party
211 South Fifth Street Columbus, OH 43215
Doug Preisse, Chairman
Franklin County Republican Party
2nd Fl., 14 E Gay St
Columbus, OH 43215
Senator Rob Portman
37 West Broad Street Room 300
Columbus, OH 43215
77 S High St
Columbus, OH 43215
We will conclude inside the Statehouse (1 Capitol Square, Columbus, OH 43215) with a prayer, a brief speech, and performances of “America the Beautiful” and “We Shall Overcome” accompanied by a dance.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
If you can attend the “visits,” we are looking for people of all ages, races, religions and backgrounds. We don’t necessarily need a large group, but we want to show broad and diverse support. If you are a community leader or a public person, we’d especially like to have you with us, because you represent a larger constituency. If you are a clergy person of any religion, we can use your spiritual authority.
Please dress in your formal best, and plan to be polite, non-confrontational and to stay 100% on message. I’m sure we all have other things we’d like to say to these gentlemen, but let’s save that for another occasion. Please contact me if you are planning on coming so I can get an idea of the numbers.
IF YOU ARE AN ARTIST please consider bringing an original work of art attached to a signpost to march with, instead of slogans.
IF YOU CAN SING please practice “America the Beautiful” and “We Shall Overcome” so we can sing in perfect harmony.
IF YOU ARE GOOD WITH A CAMERA please document our event and post it to social media.
If you can’t attend, please help us publicize the event. You can also sign our petition. Feel free also to make calls to these representatives in advance of our event. Each call counts as 1000 people in political math, and we want them to be meditating on this topic even before they see us. Also, if you are willing to be publicly listed as supporting this initiative, please let me know.
Christopher Sunami – firstname.lastname@example.org
1. We believe that there is no place in the leadership of Ohio, the G.O.P. or the United States of America for those who draw profit or political gain from aiding or abetting the forces of racial or religious hatred.
2. We affirm the fact that America has always been a country of immigrants, as demonstrated by core American symbols such as the Statue of Liberty.
3. We therefore strongly urge President-elect Trump, in the interests of national unity, to immediately remove divisive figure Steve Bannon from his circle of close advisors and strategists.
Local Supporters as of 12/7/16:
Reverend John Edgar
Reverend Gregory Kendrick
Lay Pastor Donita Harris
- 2018 US Midterm Elections
- Wokepedia: This is Us, Dudley Randall
- 2018, 2020, 2022: Third Party Strategies
- 2018: Moral / Victory
- Feeling Encouraged
- Encouragement Day
- Strategies VII – Knowing the Stakes (is it all just PC hysteria?)
- Strategies VI: Effective Protests and Marches
- Strategies V: Reaching the Trump Voter (targeting the GOP)
- Strategies: Part IV – Big Visible Symbols of the American Commitment to Diversity
Note, much of this approach was inspired by Christian social activist Alexia Salvatierra (author of Faith Rooted Organizing), whose talk I attended on Tuesday. I was really struck by her message that organizing isn’t just about getting what you want, it’s also about changing people’s hearts. The GOP isn’t necessarily the enemy –I doubt most of them are happy about what is happening to their party and their country.